HRGN is organized for the public good for the purpose of creating a Sustainable Environment for all Citizens in Rockingham County and the City of Harrisonburg. To accomplish this purpose, we intend to:
1. Educate the public and government officials within our community about such matters as:
- The benefits of energy conservation, energy efficiency, and the use of clean, renewable energy sources;
- The technology and availability of alternative fuels, renewable energy generating systems, and energy efficient products;
- The concepts and benefits of conservation and the sustainable use of natural resources;
- The concepts and benefits of energy efficient or “green” architecture and building practices;
- The concepts and benefits of a productive local food system and sustainable agricultural practices;
- The concepts and benefits of intra-and inter-neighborhood relations through shared goals and shared spaces;
- The concepts and benefits of focused land use and transportation planning on density and infill, and encouragement of alternative transportation options;
- The benefits of a resilient system of natural resources including forests, riparian buffer, water systems, and clean air; a healthy tree canopy and diverse vegetation;
- The concept and benefits of long-term local and regional planning for a sustainable future; including a long term energy plan
- Barriers that may hinder the growth and exploration of environmentally responsible practices.
2. Reduce the burden of local government by helping identify ways to promote environmental sustainability through energy efficiency, conservation, the use of renewable energy sources, promotion of local food systems, and fostering healthy natural systems.
3. Help local businesses, churches, and other organizations identify and implement strategies to become more energy efficient and sustainable in their practices and operation.
4. To the extent possible, devote time, energy, and a limited amount of our resources to advocate on legislation and/or regulation affecting energy efficiency, conservation, the use of renewable energy sources, promotion of local food systems, fostering healthy natural systems, or other types involving environmental sustainability.